Monday, July 7, 2014

Landline by Rainbow Rowell

2.5 Stars
 
Rainbow Rowell has quickly become an author whose release dates I mark on the calendar, so when I found out there was a chance for me to win an ARC of her latest release, I was all over it (endless thanks to my gal Kira for the hook-up).



She may not write Pulitzers, but at a pace of four books in as many years it’s pretty obvious that Rowell has a lot to say and boy has she been saying it. Although her stories can all be generalized as “romance”, she has run the gamut from young adult heartbreaker with Eleanor & Park, to a young adult feel-good with Fangirl, to a romantic comedy with Attachments to a flat out chick-lit with Landline.

Initial reaction?



This just wasn’t my cup of tea . . . and now I’m sad. I believe it was definitely a case of “it’s not you, it’s me”. If your idea of a great time is a romantic twist on the old “It’s a Wonderful Life” story, you will loooooooooooooooooooooooove this book. If you peruse the Red Box and wish there were more movies like “The Lake House” available, you should drop everything and RUN to the bookstore and pick up a copy of Landline. For me, however? This book was simply



The saving grace with Rainbow Rowell’s books is that no matter what she writes, she writes it well. Her characters are people you might know in real life and their dialogue is believable. Although I wasn’t head-over-heels for this book, I still flew through it in a couple of hours and I’m already chomping at the bit to see what she will come up with next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment