Thursday, June 6, 2013

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King


5 Stars

A social studies assignment of creating a survey question and evaluating the data has Lucky excited for the easy A he’s sure to receive. His question: "If you were going to commit suicide, what method would you choose?" is viewed quite differently by the school administration. They want Lucky evaluated to make sure he isn’t a danger to himself or others.

I went in to this book with no expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. I’m always impressed when a writer can create such a realistic character of the opposite sex (especially when said character is also going through the turmoil of puberty). Lucky was such a likeable young man with a dry sense of humor that really came across the page. He also left me blubbering like a huge baby at one point. I agree with King that everybody sees the ants and I don’t even use the stupid shampoo either. I’ll be checking out more of her work in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment