Friday, October 10, 2014

A Good Marriage by Stephen King

4 Stars
 
How well do you know your spouse? Sure, you think you know all the little nuances about them – and I’m positive you know the things about them that annoy you – but can you ever really know everything about another person?

After 27 years of marriage, Darcy was sure she knew everything about Bob . . . until one night when she went out to the garage and stubbed her toe on a box that wasn’t where it was supposed to be . . .

“One lousy little step in the wrong direction, and [she] was falling.”

What would you do if you discovered your “good marriage” wasn’t what it appeared to be and, in fact, you were really married to a monster?



Living in the area of the “BTK Killer” (which was the inspiration for this story), my creep-o-meter was running full tilt the entire time I was reading. King touched on many of Rader’s nuances and made me someone I’ve thought of as pure animal for the past 18 years I’ve lived in this area as a human again. As my Goodreads buddy Gary said, it’s not the story so much as the way he tells it." That statement is spot on. This isn’t a horror story or a thriller or a mystery – A Good Marriage is pure suspense. The majority of the story takes place in Darcy’s own head and King makes you feel all of the anxiety and denial and terror and nausea, etc. that Darcy is feeling.

This could have received all 5-Stars from me, were it not for the last 10 pages or so. While they didn’t do anything to really lessen my enjoyment – they weren’t really necessary and didn’t add anything to the story either. However, A Good Marriage is a super short read (with or without those “extra” pages), so if you’re looking for something that might raise your heartbeat, but not totally freak you out this Halloween season, this is a good choice.

As with every book, I’m sure this one is not for everyone. If you don’t like this one, I think you should take it up directly with Stephen King. His responses are awesome . . .



Sidenote: I have a history of being either underwhelmed or full-on pissed off upon viewing many of King’s movie adaptations, but this one may be an exception to the rule (like with Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, Misery, and a handful of others).

No comments:

Post a Comment