Friday, May 23, 2014

One Plus One by JoJo Moyes

4 Stars
 
First – massive props to the good people over at NetGalley for giving me this ARC. Things could have reached an uncomfortable level of multi-requesting had you turned me down, but you didn’t so . . .



Now, let’s get on with the show.

Jess’ life is not easy. She’s raising not only her 10-year old daughter Tanzie, but also her teenage stepson Nicky. Her husband split two years ago and hasn’t sent a dime to help support the kids. Now Jess works two jobs and still barely makes ends meet. Somehow through all of this she has managed to remain a “glass half full” kind of gal.

Ed’s life was fairly easy – until he let his judgment get clouded by an old college acquaintance who made him feel wanted again after his wife left him. Once Ed figured out he was shagging a real Stage 5 Clinger, he offered her a little bit of financial advice to get her out of his hair – only to find out that is what the pros call insider trading. Now he’s facing exorbitant fines and potential jail time – and he’s anything but optimistic.

A series of unfortunate meet-cutes has Jess and Ed at the same place at the same time – and when Jess’ car breaks down on the way to Tanzie’s Math Olympiad, Ed is the only person who can save the day – making for a road trip unlike any other.

After reading a couple of heavy books (The Goldfinch and We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves), I wanted something light. I was thrilled to see that I had been approved for this ARC, but I was also more than a little leery about starting being that I have a love (Me Before You) hate (The Girl You Left Behind) relationship with JoJo Moyes. However, I’m no coward, so I pulled up my big girl panties and dove in.

Now, this is obviously not Pulitizer material we’re talking about here. It’s most definitely “chick lit,” but I judge a book for the genre in which it is written and for a romance, it was everything that I wanted it to be.

I wanted humor:
 
“What is this?” He stared at it suspiciously.

“Scotch, triple sec, and orange juice.”

He took a sip. And then a larger one. “This is all right.”

“I knew you’d like it. I made it especially for you. It’s called a Mithering Bastard.”

and likeable characters:
“Where the hell are we, anyway?

“Oh, somewhere on the Yellow Brick Road.”

“Is that the one with the godlike lion that saves everyone?”

“You’re thinking of Narnia. This one is cowardly and useless.”

“Figures.”

and romance:
He dropped his head and kissed her. He kissed her and it was a kiss of utter certainty, the kind of kiss during which monarchs die and whole continents fall without your even noticing.

I wanted to feel like the girliest girl girling out over what should be a cliché boy meets girl/boy loses girl/boy gets girl back girl meets boy/girl loses boy/girl gets boy back story, but what somehow instead ends up being just the right thing at the right time – and I did (and you probably will too).

This book officially comes out on July 1st. Summertime. Take a break from the serious, put on your sunscreen, take this little gem poolside and fall in love. In a couple of years I wouldn’t be surprised to see the story played out on the big screen, making “date night” a chance to fall in love all over again – like we’ve done so many times before . . .










No comments:

Post a Comment