Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The One I Left Behind by Jennifer McMahon

4 Stars

I’m not a real great reviewer to begin with, but I feel I add some extra suckage to my reviews of thrillers. I’m always afraid if I say ANYTHING, it will end up being a clue that gives it all away.

The One I Left Behind is the story of Reggie, whose mother was taken by a serial killer 25 years ago. The assumption has always been that Reggie’s mother was dead and the body just wasn’t discovered. That is, until she shows up at a homeless shelter. Now Reggie must confront all of the ghosts of her past, including old friends left behind, secrets long buried and truths about her childhood.

FINALLY a new thriller that didn’t have the words "just like Gone Girl" printed on the cover. And guess what? I like this one better than all of the others with that label. It kept me turning pages and discovering I had read 100 when I thought I had maybe read 25. It had everything I like in a thriller: a decent sized cast of characters, quick pace, smooth dialogue, secrets revealed, climactic ending that didn’t drag on for a billion pages. It was a solid book in its genre and I would definitely recommend it to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment