Tuesday, October 1, 2019

This One Summer by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki


22430087
2.5 Stars

Let’s play a little bit of catch-up. I mean, not the type that I actually need to do which are the 40 other books I have yet to review ranging all the way back to the beginning of the year, but the type where I half-ass talk about a graphic novel I read last week for . . . .



Basically, This One Summer is about just that – one summer. The summer in question is the final one where the balance between remaining a kid and becoming a grown-up begins to shift. While at the beach, this is the year where Rose wants to spend less time digging holes with her pal Windy and more time noticing the local boys and wondering if her boobs are ever going to come in. It’s also the year after something terrible happened to her parents causing constant arguments and uncomfortable silences.

This story was challenged basically for being a coming of age story, proving once again that this country is full of people who make me say . . . . .



The big shock and awe factor this time around? Teen pregnancy. The horror. I’m giving this 2.5 Stars because there wasn’t anything wrong with it – it just wasn’t my idea of a great time. I’m rounding up because the artwork was excellent . . . .



This was also the first time I’ve ever read a graphic novel on the ol’ Kindle. I have to say, while paper will always be my medium of choice when it comes to “pitcherbooks” – reading this electronically wasn’t nearly as painful as I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment