Monday, March 9, 2015

Naming the Hangman by Eric Plume

22803261
4 Stars
 
“Whatever devil you cut your deals with, I’d like his number.”

If Stephanie Plum wasn’t a total imbecile, she might have a chance of being someone like Amber Eckart. No offense, Stephanie, you know I adore your dumb ass. Amber, however, has her shit together. She runs her own small P.I. company, keeps her gun strapped to her body (rather than stashed in a cookie jar), and is smart enough to attempt to steer clear of danger whenever possible. Oh, she also recognizes the fact that she needs a paycheck and is willing to walk if a client doesn’t pony up some cash. To quote the immortal words of Joe Dirt . . .

Commercial Photography

Naming the Hangman is the second book in the Eckart (Dear Mr. Plume, do you know how hard it is to NOT spell that last name with an “H”?????) mystery series. I have not (yet) read the first and the good news is, it didn’t really matter. There was enough backstory provided to get me caught up to speed with the cast of characters lickity split. And what a cast of characters it was. Not only does Amber know how to handle a weapon . . .

Commercial Photography

In this particular volume she is investigating a suicide which may really have been a homicide and is staying with an old friend who is also no damsel in distress . . .

Commercial Photography

Since this is a mystery, I’m not going to give away any more of the plot. I will agree with what Shelby said, though. Plume knows how to write women characters. I mean really knows. How do you know so much about underwire bras, Eric????

Commercial Photography

Wait, nevermind.

Bottom line, if you are looking for a slow burn type of mystery that you can sink into with a mason jar filled with Dr. Pepper and blackberry moonshine on ice, this is the series for you. I’m definitely interested in seeing how these characters develop. While it was awesome not to get bogged down in a love story, I have a feeling eventually Amber is going to have to indulge in some sexytimes. In my head I’m gonna pretend her partner looks like this . . .

Commercial Photography

(HA! I TOLD YOU I’D GET ROAD HOUSE IN HERE SOMEWHERE!)

Here’s the part where I tell you about my relationship with the author. We interact on Goodreads sometimes, but we are not officially “friends” (and I haven’t bothered checking to see if he’s one of my followers because that would make me an asshole). I picked up Naming the Hangman simply due to the fact that Mr. Plume offered it up for free on Amazon around Christmastime. I finally bumped it to the top of my reading list because I saw Plume call out other authors for some dickholey behavior recently and felt his book deserved to be read. However, you all should know by now that I march to the beat of my own drummer and I definitely do not sugarcoat my opinion. This book gets 4 Stars because it was a solidly good book (I mean seriously, a self-pubbed story that I found only ONE typo in? Unheard of!) that I enjoyed reading. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment