Friday, March 20, 2015

Cracked by Eliza Crewe

17345314
4.5 Stars
 
"I eat souls. The packaging can be tricky, but fortunately I am blessed with special skills to pry my meals from their pesky shells. My teeth rip skin; my jaws snap bones. I am fast, lightning-fast, snuff - oh-was-that-your-life? - fast."

Holy f&*^! What did I just read?!?!?!?!?!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Permission denied. Keep your s*&t together, Mitchell!

This soooooooo should not have been a success for Kelly and the Book Boar. YA fantasy is NOT our bag. You're talking about a genre filled with a bunch of mamby pambies and terrible world building and overuse/abuse of the same tired out themes over and over and over again. What just happened?!?!?!?!?

Meda happened. Meda isn't your ordinary YA heroin. She has a little something different hiding under her surface . . . .

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

She's just a teensie bit demonic. And it was AWESOME. While other girls spend their time chasing after vampires and werewolves and falling into instalove with anyone who has a peen, Meda goes around sucking the souls out of bad guys (well, mostly bad guys). You see, in addition to Meda being a soul eater, she has another little secret . . .

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

and spends her free time nom-nomming the bad guys on behalf of the ghosts who seek her help.

"I suspect they never really feel guilt, but I make sure they drown in regret. Red, sticky regret."

Not only did Meda totally kick ass, but she did it with the absolute BEST voice of a YA female MC I've ever read, filled with a most delicious dry wit. And after all the butt kicking and being badly good were over, Cracked went where no other paranormal book has been able to go . . .

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dear Meda, please ignore the gaggle of screaming fangirls. I’m fairly certain we’ll both be happiest if you choose me . . . the middle-aged chubbo with a collection of dead critters . . . to be your bestie. Anyone who can make this grumpy cat fart rainbows of enjoyment is the one I should split a BFF necklace with . . .

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Blame Credit for this review goes to Liz. Although I now see about a jillion of my GR friends have read this/have it on their TBR, it was her review that made me finally break down and read this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment