Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia


52873094. sy475
4 Stars

This place could drive anyone crazy.
Upon receipt of a disturbing letter from her cousin claiming she is being poisoned by her husband and trapped in a house full of rot and evil, Noemí is sent on a bit of a fact-finding mission in order to get Catalina any help she may need. Her arrival reveals a house on a hill a bit like . . . .



Ran by a woman with an iron fist and an entire laundry list of rules reminiscent of . . . .



Eventually followed by some pretty superb gross-out scenes I haven’t experienced since . . . .



Apparently this wasn’t a big hit for everyone. Color me surprised because I thought it was exactly as advertised - Lovecraft meets the Brontës. That cover alone is worth the price of admission. And yes I know I know I complain about face covers all the time, but these “ladies in pretty dresses” covers are simply the bees knees. I will say this is a slow roller that builds itself up to a frantic pace for the climax, so if you aren’t sucked in by the atmosphere, you definitely aren’t going to have a great time. Also, I apparently wrongread even when I think I’m reading it right so take my rating with a grain of salt.

1 comment:

  1. I don't usually do horror but I really liked The Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo and think you might too. Tried to friend you on Goodreads because we have similar ratings on a lot of books but apparently can only message you in comments on your posts here. When my brain fog clears I can send more recommendations if you like.

    ReplyDelete