Thursday, July 25, 2019

The Garden of Small Beginnings by Abbi Waxman


32570475. sy475
5 Stars

Oh Abbi Waxman . . . .



I was lucky enough to stumble upon this author due to my addiction to covers featuring houses via the aptly named Other People’s Houses. (A rare occurrence where my brain didn’t fail me after being denied an ARC over at NetGalley and I promptly begged the library to obtain a copy for me.) I was double lucky to score a paper advance of The Bookish Life of Nina Hill, a story that is currently making the rounds and winning over the hearts of readers both at Goodreads and Instagram. I loved that book so much I did something I don’t normally do – immediately jumped on the waiting list for Waxman’s other novel. And while my reaction to the story was pretty much the equivalent of this . . . .



I’m bummed that I’ve now read all of her books. I guess that’s what the newly installed She Shed is for. Come on over, Abbi, and allow me to hold you hostage be your hostess while you write your next winner . . . .



The Garden of Small Beginnings features leading lady Lili - book illustrator, mother of two, and young widow. This is the story of Lili’s family, friendships and new beginnings by way of a class her boss signs her up for after assigning Lili a project illustrating a gardening guide. This book has so much heart, so much humor and such a great approach to handling what could be some seriously heavy subject matter . . . .

“It wasn’t a nuthouse. It was a hospital.”

“With locks on the doors.”

“Well, yes.”

“And lithium and Thorazine and people who thought they were Amelia Earheart.”

“That was just one guy.”


Abbi Waxman is an author who makes me be a different kind of me. Someone who might not want to only read books about trailer parks, motorcycle alpha men, meth manufacturing and stabby stabs, but instead who wants to do real crazy shit like forming . . . . .



Cluck cluck mothafuckas. I’m fixin’ to read about eleventy-three more “chicky” books in the next few weeks after my reaction to this one.

All the Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment