Monday, January 4, 2016

F*ck Love by Tarryn Fisher

25828204
3 Stars
 
SPOILERS. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE.
Palm Springs commercial photography

It all begins with a dream. Helena dreams of her future, but instead of her current serious boyfriend starring as her husband, it is her best friend’s boyfriend Kit in the role of leading male. Now, I admit I’ve had some dreams that seem realistic and have even had that “David After Dentist” moment when I’ve been super angry at my husband until I was able to clear the cobwebs and differentiate between what happened during R.E.M. and what was actually real life. Unfortunately I can’t say the same for Helena. Nope, after her kind of cuckoo and obviously very dreamy dream about Kit Helena just can’t let it go . . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

I mean, for real. For all the bashing of instalove that I’ve seen over the years, how the heck does this currently have a 4.48 rating? The bitch don’t even KNOW him and falls in lurrrrrrrrv. And then? Well then the story became The Opportunist version 2.0 . . . .

“Girls always choose men, and men always choose the wrong girls. It’s an endless cycle.”

The same tired tropes were troped out yet again – the “I can’t have him, but I want him and I’ll develop a “platonic” relationship in order to get him to see we are meant to be” and “whoops, I accidentally knocked this chick up who I don’t even love anymore but since I’m a pigman I have to continue having much of the sex with her anyway and also now I have to marry her.” (Sidenote: What f-ing year is it that people HAVE to get married because of a baby and seriously over half of all marriages fail anyway which sucks but you REALLY think you’re going to be able to pretend a happily-ever-after just because you have a kid? Uhhhhh, notsamuch.) And I can’t forget this is yet another Tarryn Fisher story with an attractive yet quirky female lead who is petite with waist-length, raven hair that is frequently tied in a top-knot who continually runs away from anything related to love and speaks in Harry Potter terminology. Basically, she has written herself. AGAIN.

Palm Springs commercial photography

At this point you’re probably asking why I didn’t rate this lower. The simple answer is it’s because I have an enormous girl crush on Ms. Fisher . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

You’re damn right, Honey Boo Boo. This story may have been too familiar and too “beige” for my liking. However, I appreciated the lack of purple when it came to the writing and I’m 100% a basic bitch who gets sucked in by the right words if I read them at the right time . . .

“Stop saying my name. It gives me butterflies and I don’t trust you or your butterflies.”

I'm also fairly comfortable saying even though I read this on the second day of the new year it will win best title/cover combo of 2016 hands down.

What can I say? I’m merely a Muggle who is under Tarryn Fisher’s spell . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

(But I’m still ready for her writing to go back to the dark side.)

No comments:

Post a Comment