Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand

42283286
4 Stars

Maybe, just maybe, this summer will end up being one that people write songs about.


^^^^That’s what comes to mind for 99.9999% of you, right? It may have taken 370 pages, but at least the pink elephant in the room was finally addressed ; )

Elin Hilderbrand don’t need homegirl’s help selling her books so why don’t we just get to the giffing????

The story here is exactly what the title says – about the summer of 1969. The cover is a bit misleading, however, because the focus isn’t on . . . .



But rather on various family members as they make their annual pilgrimage to Nantucket for the summer. We congregate at matriarch Exalta’s home. Oh Exalta. She’s just so awful that you know she’ll end up with an epic redemption arc and you’re going to fall in love with her before it’s all over . . . .



Then we have the Levines. There’s momma Kate, who spends most of her time . . . .


(Can I just take a second to say this is my favorite gif of all time. She’s my spirit animal.)

Ever since only son Tiger had to go do this . . . .



Oldest daughter Blair is having a bit of a rough summer . . . . .



While her husband is getting ready to fake the for the moon landing down in Texas with these guys . . . . .



Middle daughter Kirby has opted to spend her break down the way at the Vineyard in order to spread her wings a bit away from the family and perhaps practice what she preaches when it comes to equal rights . . . .



And then there’s the youngest, Jessica. Her 13th summer will be one she doesn’t forget . . . .



There’s even a cameo by Teddy Kennedy. Y’all remember what he did that summer, right????



This was another poolside read. I actually went home burned after realizing there was not enough sunblock in the universe to save my pasty ass, but there was zero chance I was going to let real life interrupt my time in 1969. And to think I was actually annoyed when I heard about the release of this book too because I was wanting a sequel (who am I, even????) for Winter In Paradise. I was about to get all angrified that Summer of ‘69 was coming out instead. But I sucked it up, put away Shelby’s Trademarked Butthurt Form and went ahead and got on the library wait list. I haven’t had a summer this chicky in as long as I can remember. First with these books and then . . . .





As Martha Stewart would say . . . .



Wait, that’s Martha 2.0. I’m talking about original Martha . . . .



My apologies to anyone without an unlimited data plan. Good thing the month is almost over, right????

No comments:

Post a Comment