Monday, August 19, 2019

August: Osage County by Tracy Letts


8166099
5 Stars

I don’t know where this popped up (I highly doubt it was Goodreads’ recommendation feature since (a) it’s a script not a book and I’ve never had that happen and (b) it’s something I would actually want to read). It wasn’t via a friend either because only a few of them have read it and none posted a detailed review. That leaves either Instagram or the library . . . . .



Not that it matters much, but I do like to give credit where credit is due. To be honest, I requested this from the library just because it had a house on the cover. Yep, I’m that easy of a sell. I had no idea this won the Pulitzer, or all the Tonys or that it was adapted into a feature film. I just know I like house covers. But now that I’ve read it and am aware of all of the above, I’ve definitely been broadcasting my intelligence around the office . . . .



The story here is told in three Acts. Act I features various family members congregating back at the ol’ homestead when it is discovered the patriarch is missing. By Act II he’s dead and takes place after his funeral. Act III? Well, by the time that came around I was like . . . . .



I’d categorize this as a Tragicomedy. The story is very dark and depressing, yet somehow with all the goings on . . . .



There’s a lot of laugh out loud moments too. If nothing else, it will probably make you feel like your family reunions aren’t so bad ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment