Thursday, March 8, 2018

Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan


32620349
5 Stars

I wouldn’t say I actively avoided Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore, but between the cutesie title, even cutesier cover and hundred person waiting list at both library systems, it didn’t even make it to my TBR until my friend JENNIFER read it. Once it became a recommendation for the Winter Reading Challenge, it was a done deal that I’d have to read it by March 15th. And now that I’m finished?????



This seriously should have been a 3 - 3.5 Star selection for me – at best. It was a mystery, which I read a ton of which has made me super judgey. It featured a character who had a superbadawful happen to her in the past. Same character would then find herself amateur sleuthing about a new dead body. So what happened????? Welllllllllll, the setting was pretty much the fictional equivalent of . . . .



The patrons were the equivalent of . . . .



The co-worker was someone who I might not try to hide from and instead want to be besties for the resties with because not only was her name PLATH which was just awesomely bleak, but she also said things like . . . .

“Sweetie, you’ve got too much heart. Do yourself a favor and let it shrivel. Read some Henry Miller. Some Ayn Rand. Some Deepak Chopra. That’ll shitten your outlook.”

The writing was beautiful and simply spot-on in its description of bibliophiles and bookstores/libraries . . . .

“This was his Thanksgiving table. His couch-cushion fort. He could get lost in here like nowhere else on earth.”

Despite Lydia tested my patience at times, she was still obviously my type of person . . . .

“You do anything but read?” he said. “Not much.” “Sounds nice.”

The superbadawful?????



Mitchell dug it. (That should tell you all you need to know about that.)

And last, but most certainly not least, the big reveal at the end about the why behind the death almost made me have a feeling . . . .



I’m giving this one my first 5 Star rating of the year because it came in like a little sleeper and completely blew me away, I didn't ever see the ending coming (and really didn't even care because I was so wrapped up in the storytelling) and I’ve already recommended it to two people in my real life . . . .



Props to the library for putting this on the recommendation for the WRC

No comments:

Post a Comment