Friday, August 21, 2015

Marrow by Tarryn Fisher

22253643
3.5 Stars
 
“People will ignore every warning sign when blinded by their thirst for something. It’s better to not be thirsty.”

Houston commercial photography

Well, this was an unexpected little surprise. Tarryn Fisher went on my radar with Mud Vein , a book that promised to be über dark and disturbing and yada yada yada. It didn’t work for me, but I enjoyed Ms. Fisher’s writing style and thought she definitely had the potential with the doom and gloom. She also didn’t seem to be an a$$hole when I saw her posting on social media which was a huge bonus. When Amazon offered me up a free $5 gift card I knew exactly what I would be spending it on. Boy am I glad I did.

Marrow is classified under the “New Adult” genre, but it’s not your typical NA story . . .

Houston commercial photography

This isn’t a romance. (Well, I mean if you’re a person who would categorize American Psycho as a romance I guess it could be.) Nope, Marrow is the story of what happens when Margo has enough with living in “The Bone” – enough with being raised by a prostitute mother, enough of never knowing who her father was, enough of children disappearing and no one caring enough to find the killer, enough with drug pushers and baby beaters until one day she simply . . . .

Houston commercial photography

Mitchell says if all New Adult books were like these we’d read them all the time. I’m so glad I gave Tarryn Fisher another chance. (Here’s where I make some enemies, but Honey Badger don’t care.) Tarryn Fisher did what Leah Raeder tried and failed to do. She’s the real deal who wrote something gritty but did so with the most beautiful flowery prose and instead of pussyfooting around she JUST. WENT. THERE. with the dark and stormy and left zero apologies in her wake for anyone who didn’t like it. Marrow earns 3.5 Stars from me because there was a part that left me feeling a little bit of . . . .

Houston commercial photography

but I’m rounding up because I really enjoyed it and because that cover deserves 10 Stars all on its own. I CAN. NOT. WAIT. to see what she does with a romance novel.

Dear Ms. Fisher: IGNORE THE DISCLAIMER IN MY “ABOUT ME” SECTION AND PLEASE SPAM THE CRAP OUT OF ME WITH A REVIEW REQUEST FOR F*** Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment