Thursday, August 13, 2015

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

17661416
3.5 Stars
 
Hey look, it’s another book I read two months ago and never reviewed. Bonus this time – it was a library book (thanks a lot for denying me the ARC, NetGalley!) and my loan expired therefore erasing all of my quotes. Fail. Luckily my old lady brain didn’t sabotage me on this one so I can kind of halfa$$ review it. Lucky again that this is a book where the less said is better because SPOILERS so if this is on your TBR be careful wading too deep into the reviewing pond (and especially the Questions section on GR) or else you might find you need to cut a b*&^#.

Made You Up is the story of Alex’s senior year. Her main goal is to get in to college, but that’s not as simple as it seems when you have a tendency of spotting the local Phoenix when you go outside . . . .

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There’s also a tiny problem in the form of a boy named Miles – a boy Alex has always positive was just a figment of her imagination . . . .

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Before I even begin, can I pay homage to that cover????

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Hands down the most gorgeous book I’ve seen this year. I didn’t even need to look at a synopsis before deciding I would be reading this one. (Note to authors – covers are IMPORTANT. A pretty one will sell your books for you – an ugly one will leave them sitting on the rack alone and unwanted.)

Alright, now to the book. Made You Up might not be the best thing I’ve ever read, but it’s quite a solid debut and earns bonus points for originality. Although this seems like the “year of the crazy” with respect to the vast amount of characters who are battling some sort of mental disorder, I thought this story did a remarkable job of tackling schizophrenia with a wonderful balance of both humor and compassion. It was also a refreshing change of pace when it came to dealing with what it’s really like to fall in love for the first time. (Spoiler alert for those who have yet to experience it: Love doesn’t happen instantly.) If you’re not emotionally vacant like me Made You Up might even make you experience some feely-feels.

3.5 Stars rounded up for daring to be different than the stereotypical YA.

No comments:

Post a Comment