Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie


854757
3.5 Stars

Actual footage of my face when anyone at the office tries to recommend a book to me . . . .



In case you aren’t familiar, my mood tends to fluctuate between . . . . .



And . . . . .



When (literally) the nicest person I’ve ever worked with in all 417 of my years here on Earth told me I should read Bet Me I just knew I was going to break her perky little heart. Imagine my surprise when I actually liked this dang thing! So obviously this is not a selection that is Pulitzer worthy, but when you need a break from the smarty or heavy or stabby selections of books, it’s quite a fun little palate cleanser.

The premise here is of the “I bet you can’t bag that broad” variety. The difference with this selection? The potential baggy just so happens to overhear said wager so the ol’ trope is immediately turned on its ear. Another difference? While the leading male is very much stereotypical rom com dreamboy material . . . . .



The leading lady is of the real plus-sized variety (not just the “ooooh my tummy pooch is sooooooo frustrating and I wish my thigh gap were bigger”) which had me like . . . . .



I will say I absolutely did not enjoy the added storyline of the two exes and thought that just created tons of additional unnecessary pages about people I did not like. Other than that, though, this was quite fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment