Friday, February 1, 2019

Denton Little's Deathdate by Lance Rubin


24683164
2 Stars

A wise man once said . . . .



The problem is it’s hard to know exactly which Young Adult selections I’m going to feel too old for. It’s especially hard with blurbs that say things like . . . .

“Get ready to die laughing” . . . “outrageously funny”



And promise that I will . . . .

“Fall in love with Denton Little.”



Being that there was already a #2 in this series, it was pretty obvious that I would not be experiencing Denton Little’s death. I’ve also read enough YA/dystopia/whateveryouwanttocallit to not be real blown away by the premise that in the future nearly everyone has a predetermined expiration date. I will figured I would enjoy things aiiiiiight. What I did not plan on was a character who kept trying to convince me that . . . .

“I’m not an asshole, I swear! I’m just a moron!”

Uhhhhh, sorry to break it to you, kid but . . . .



I don’t care if the heart wants what it wants or whatever other excuse others want to throw out there . . . .



The mom in me doesn’t give cheating on your girlfriend a pass. And momma sure as hell doesn’t give having sex with a completely hammered/possibly passed-out boy a pass . . . .



Rape is rape. Even if it’s not happening to a female. I want to give this 1 Star because I hate when a book makes me feel like a buzzkill or the morality police. However, like so many other Young Adult novels, Denton’s best friend Paolo was a saving grace and deserves a star all for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment