Thursday, April 16, 2015

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1: Cosmic Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis

17791477
4 Stars
 
This review brought to you courtesy of Supernerd’s my son’s and my ginormous Pop Vinyl collections. (It may also serve as Exhibit A when he asks why we don’t have any money for him to attend college.) If you don’t like reviews that contain a massive amount of images, well . . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

In case you don’t already know, I’m a comic book newbie. In fact, Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers was my first foray into any superhero storyline. To sum it up briefly, I believe have found my people. When the movie version of Guardians finally made it to the Starz Channel I found myself watching the hell out of it, so I figured there was a pretty decent chance I’d like the comic version as well. Talk about understatement of the year.

The story begins with the origins of the “Star Lord” – and while movie version has Peter’s mother banging a rando alien and then dying from cancer, this version has just a bit more shoot ‘em ups involved with her demise. WTF is up with killing the mothers all the time? Everyone drinking the Walt Disney Kool-Aid or what? Anywho, after his mom croaks, Peter dedicates his life to making it to outer space, and with the help of a career at NASA, finally makes it there in order to take his birthright as the Star Lord we all know and love . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography
(Yes, Supernerd does indeed have both masked and unmasked versions of all the superheroes. He might need an intervention.)

Things then flash forward to a plotline of the ragtag bunch of misfits we all know and love . . . along with – Iron Man???

Dallas Commercial Photography

Yep. Iron Man. Alrighty then. Anywho, the Guardians have already duked it out with Thanos and his ilk, and now they are faced with some new über baddies . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography
(Cut me some slack, I had to make due with what was available. All Supernerd had in his collection was Ronin and he ain’t in this one.)

The story is action-packed almost from the jumpstart where we witness Gamora being super kickass . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography
(The 947,381 picture asshole cat has photobombed this year.)

and Groot getting blown to smithereens. Y’all know what happens when Groot gets ka-boomed, right?

Dallas Commercial Photography

Okay, this part isn’t really covered except showing Rocket sticking a twig in some dirt, but Mitchell lurvs the Baby Groot and insisted I add this ; )

Anyway, back to all the über baddies. They are plotting to destroy Earth . . . or are they???? DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN! Can the Guardians save all of us Earthers before it’s too late? What do you think?

Dallas Commercial Photography

God bless ‘Murica.

Alright, so obviously I loved this and if a non-comic book junkie like me dug it, then you all should too. Although the spandex chafed a little more than I would like, I’m definitely interested in reading anything I can about the Guardians – especially after the little teaser about Rocket . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Or is there????

Now if only they’d introduce my old fave . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography

Since I know diddly shit about artwork I’m not really going to go there except to say that for the most part I thought it was pretty damn good . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography
“BLAM! MURDERED YOU!”

And even the panels that weren’t the best made up for it with pure awesome . . .

Dallas Commercial Photography
“I’m throwing up in my snarg.”

LOLOLOL – Advance apologies, husband. I have a feeling I’ll be using that line way too often.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the Funko corporation, but am willing to sell my soul to them in order to obtain more of their Pop Vinyls. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment