Thursday, February 20, 2014

Hollow City - The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

5 Stars
 
Jacob and the Peculiars may have escaped immediate danger at the end of Book #1, but their adventure is only beginning. Not only will they have to avoid being killed or captured, they also have a limited time in which to save Ms. Peregrine – or else she will never be able to take human form again.

There just aren’t enough words to express how much I loved this book. Thank bird Miss Peregrine’s was popular enough that Riggs was able to continue the story of the Peculiars. I can’t remember the last time I was interested in a series enough to read past book one and I really can’t remember the last time I thought the second book was better than the original.

To all of the shopkeeps and booth owners at the various flea markets and swap meets where Riggs discovered the photos that would become his inspiration for this series – I can’t thank you enough for preserving the past rather than tossing it aside.

If you’re a grown up who has avoided YA books thus far, but love fantasy/action/adventure – now might be the time to change your mind. Although the characters are children, the tale is ageless.

On the other hand, if you do have young readers, this is an EXCELLENT choice for them as well. Each chapter takes you on a new adventure and works as almost a stand alone story. At minimum, they are easy starting/stopping points, but if you’re lucky maybe your young person will find him/herself sucked into the magic and unable to stop themselves from turning more pages.

I couldn’t slow myself down and read this book at a record pace. Once I finished all I could think was


What do I do? How can I move on when there’s obviously more story? What can I read next that even compares?

Luckily the very last page told me that book three will be coming soon. Please hurry, Mr. Riggs

No comments:

Post a Comment