Friday, February 21, 2014

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

2 Stars
 
My apologies in advance for what you are about to read. When I find my feelings about a book I’m reading are on the “meh” side, I tend to lose focus easily. I space out and take a lot of reading breaks. Sometimes the result of those distractions is a complete crap gif-filled mess instead of a review.

Sophie was just trying to cast a love spell that would make the quarterback ditch his cheer captain date and take the most unpopular girl at school from zero to hero.

Unfortunately, the spell worked a little too well . . .



That failed attempt at witchcraft is the final straw for Sophie’s (human) mother and absentee (warlock) father. Sophie now has to finish her schooling at Hecate Hall, a reform school for Prodigium who can’t keep their powers under wraps.


Upon her arrival, Sophie meets some mean girls

who want her to join their coven

but she’s not so sure they are the type of girls she wants to be associated with


Rather than joining a clique of bitches witches, Sophie befriends her roommate Jenna – a vampire who is believed to have killed a former student.

Sophie doesn’t believe Jenna could be a murderer, but when additional students start being attacked – with two holes on their neck, no less – it seems there must indeed be a blood drinker of sorts on the loose.

(That image is for all the ladies. You’re welcome.)

The story gets a little convoluted as it jumps from mystery solving to every day teenage witch activity complete with some broomstick riding

and spell learning

to really everyday normal teenage behavior like getting super stoked about the upcoming All Hallows Eve Ball

where the girls’ dream dresses seem to have been inspired by “My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding”


All in all this wasn’t a terrible book, but I’m not a fan of book series in general and I’m really not a fan of reading 323 pages where 200+ probably could have been cut and combined with book #2. I continue to cross my fingers and hope this trend will pass and authors will only be signed to produce one book at a time. Hopefully the result will be books that aren't always soooooooo open ended.

Off topic: In my quest to hunt down what seems to be every witch-related picture/gif on the interwebs, I discovered a couple of things. First, Nicole Kidman has really jacked her face up with surgery/botox/whatever.

Second, I need to watch “The Witches of Eastwick” again (and hot diggity dog was Susan Sarandon smoking hot in that movie).

No comments:

Post a Comment