Monday, February 24, 2014

Crash Into You by Katie McGarry

1.5 Stars
 
Isaiah is from the wrong side of the tracks. Rachel comes from a life of privilege. Isaiah has been a foster kid for the past 10 years and, at 17, has moved in with his best friend rather than living in the system any longer. Rachel is also 17, but lives in a mansion and only has to ask in order to receive whatever material item she wants. Isaiah has a passion for cars – if he can get selected for an internship with a local dealership his future will be bright. Rachel has a passion for cars, as well. She uses driving as an escape from her problems. When Isaiah and Rachel meet on a stretch of road used for street racing, they find themselves in over their heads.

If talk about hemi engines, four on the floor, which is better, the Camaro or the Mustang, etc. really gets your engine overheating – this might be the book for you.

There’s lots of this

and this

and this

and this


There’s also a LOT of teen angst, which left me feeling a bit like this:


Like all YA/NA/Whatever-A books, the cast of characters features a hot chick

(well, actually this one is a blonde, but I wasted enough time on Tumblr already)

and an equally hot dude

Who fall in and out of love with each other enough to give a person whiplash.

At 474 pages – the sad story of Isaiah’s criminal mother, his struggle to not follow in her footsteps and instead be a productive member of society, Rachel’s issues with anxiety and how she was raised to feel like she was just her mother’s replacement child for the daughter who died are hashed and re-hashed. When I pick a romance novel, I want some fluff that only wastes a little bit of my time. I don’t want to look at the clock and realize half my day is gone. I also tend to steer myself toward the YA/NA on purpose because I’m a ginormous prude. I like my fluff with just a little oomph and none of the squick-out factor. However, this dude doesn’t even get to second base. There’s plenty of smoochy-face

but the poor cat remains 100% sexually frustrated to the very last page.

If you’re interested in reading FOUR HUNDRED SEVENTY-FOUR PAGES of driving, pining, and whining – then this is the book for you. Otherwise, I’d recommend moving along to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment