Monday, February 3, 2014

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

2.5 Stars

Karou has been raised by the strangest of foster families. Demons who trade teeth for wishes. Karou splits her time between being “normal” – attending school, hanging with friends, etc. and running errands for her foster father, Brimstone, through various portals that allow her to travel all over the world. She has managed to keep this part of her life secret, the only hint to her reality are the sketches she draws of the monsters she loves. Now, black handprints are being scorched into doorways, angel sightings are being noted and the portals are closing up. Karou needs to find out who she is, where she came from and the truth about those who raised her. That is, if the beautiful angel Akiva doesn’t kill her first . . .

”Once upon a time I dreamed I read a YA book that just focused on the awesome and did not get all convoluted with love story bullshit. My dream did not come true.”

The first half of this book was AMAZING. I was sooooooo into it and could barely turn the pages fast enough. There were interesting characters, the age-old Good vs. Evil/what is wrong and what is right storyline, tons of action. It had everything. And then . . . “the lion fell in love with the lamb” and all of the awesome was completely forgotten so we could have a little walk down memory lane and tell the tale of these two starcrossed lovers.



Basically, this book found itself in the wrong place at the wrong time in my reading log. There’s a chance that if I read this while dipping my toes in the pool during the summer, when I tend to enjoy a bit of fluff, it would have tickled my fancy. Hey, it worked for Twilight’s rating (*shrug*). Sadly in this instance, it was not meant to be and I ended my reading experience underwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment