Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye


37970853
5 Stars

You know what comment I hear a lot from strangers? “You should use more .gifs in your reviews. They are awesome and definitely show what an intelligent person you are.” Ha! Okay, y’all know that’s totally untrue, but I’m still pretty much going to only use .gifs to explain this book because I’m wording even less well than usual today.

I had never even heard of The Paragon Hotel until my friend SUSAN used the GR recommend feature to tell me about it and because SUSAN never bookpushes – like EVER – despite us having very similar tastes, I decided I should listen to her and immediately put myself on the library wait list.

Okay, let’s get on with the .giffery. Our story here is about Alice (a/k/a “Nobody”) and takes place in 1921. Born and bred in Harlem to a (literal) whore mother, Alice was quite the . . . .



Due to some unfortunate circumstances . . . .



Alice finds herself on a train bound for a destination as far as she can possibly get from Harlem . . . .



Much like Blanche DuBois, Alice finds herself relying on the kindness of strangers and ends up at the Paragon Hotel . . . .

“The Paragon opened in nineteen-oh-six, and is full to bursting of decent citizens and lunatic nomads.”

Like my new girlfriend . . . . .



And also happens to dabble a bit in . . . . .



Unfortunately for the all-black residents, their fine city has not yet embraced the moniker . . . .



In fact, it’s quite the opposite where it is actually on the books as illegal for any person of color to reside in their fair city at all, leading to a rise in . . . . .





Oh, and there’s also a missing kid, but seriously with all that other stuff going on who the eff even cares about him, right?

If you’re an idiot like me and tell yourself things like “but I don’t really liiiiiiike historical fiction” (first let me tell you that your brain is probably lying because A LOT of stuff falls into that category), this one might be the exception. Same goes for those of you who aren’t fans of dialogue-driven story progression. If the dialogue is as sharply written as it is here, you won’t be able to imagine it any other way.

All the Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment