Friday, March 8, 2019

A Woman Is No Man by Etaf Rum


41016483
1 Star




Let me begin by saying that after my last experience with an internet famous "author" (term used as loosely as possible since she didn’t even write the thing, but failed to give credit where credit was due until being called out about it), there is zero chance I would have ever read this. Unfortunately, I’m not super hip on the times and as soon as I saw this was going to be a Book of the Month selection I immediately put a library hold on it. Much to my surprise, I had first dibs and already had it downloaded and started before I saw . . . . .



Uhhhhhhhh . . . . .



WTF? Let me clarify things real quick that I know nothing about this author aside from the fact that I really enjoy her “coffee cups and book covers” Instagrams. However, I have been trolled near to death by rabid fanbases authors like these tend to generate and really wouldn’t have volunteered for another potential 10 rounds in the ring as their punching bag should history repeat itself. But I am not a DNF-er so I kept plugging along.

Obviously from my rating I hated this one, but Imma keep it short and sweet when it comes to why.

1. As mentioned above, this is a Book of the Month pick. I’ve seen it shelved as contemporary fiction, historical fiction and the ever-so-dreaded “chick lit” as well. Here’s what I have to say about that . . . . .



This is YA. Period.

2. In case you didn’t know, this is a book that is supposed to deliver a message. Here’s how it goes about doing it . . . . .



THIS REVIEW sums things up perfectly.

3. I have a feeling this book will never find it’s true intended audience, but I’m also terrified that it will make its way into the hands of the Alt Right who will be more than happy to quote things like this:

“How would they have enough money to cover expenses of a newborn? When she’d asked, Fareeda had merely smiled and said, “Don’t worry about that. With food stamps and Medicaid, you can have as many children as you want.”"

4. Most importantly? Simply put, it’s just . . . . .



The writing is amateurish, the pacing non-existent, the characters all Flat Stanleys (that means one-dimensional, in case you need it womansplained for you), and aside from that dead horse being turned into a gooey pulp, nothing ever happens until around the 80% mark. Looking for a book about growing up as a Middle-Easterner? Pick up Persepolis . Want a book that will make you feel all the feels about families and different generations from a non-white storyteller? Grab The Joy Luck Club .

No comments:

Post a Comment