Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Pride by Ibi Zoboi

38587236
3.5 Stars

Another Pride & Prejudice retelling. When will I get enough of these?????



Yep. That’s about right.

This time around it’s a YA version – set in Bushwick Brooklyn, featuring the Haitian-Dominican Benitez sisters and the Darcy brothers who just moved into a mini-mansion across the street . . . .

“Who are they?

“Rappers and ballers!”


This was a great little upcycle of my old fave. Age appropriate for the teenage audience it is geared toward with plenty of life lessons thrown in about being careful to judge others for being too “bougie” or “ghetto.”

The only complaint I have? Girls who “flirt” physically – by punching, slapping, pushing, any other sort of manhandling of boys . . . . .



I say this as not only a female (old female yes, but still female), but more so as a mother of boys. This sure as shit wouldn’t be allowed to happen if the script was flipped, so keep ya shovey hands off my sons. Now where did I park my helicopter . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment