Wednesday, October 4, 2017

I Know What You Did Last Summer by Lois Duncan


47763
3.5 Stars

Welcome to . . . .



I decided to take a break from my usual selections . . . .



And read listen to this oldie-but-goodie to celebrate my favorite time of year . . .


(Spoiler Alert: He’s really going to murder her for being a basic white bitch.)

After having a pretty meh time with Killing Mr. Griffin during Banned Book Week, I set my expectations super low before starting this one. Imagine my delight when I ended up really enjoying it. The basic premise was the same – group of drunken stumbly teenie-boppers kill someone in a hit and run and then decide . . . .



Little plot twist: in the book version they didn’t run over an adult – instead it was a kid . . . .



A year goes by when suddenly the teens start receiving notes . . . .



That have them concerned their secret might get out. Or worse . . . . .



I Know What You Did Last Summer stood the test of time surprisingly well. While it has obviously been updated since its original release back in the ‘70s, a more thorough job was done here making the modern-day references more effortless instead of standing out like a sore thumb. It does date itself with antiquated remarks regarding things of a “girly” nature, but if you aren’t of the easily offended variety, you can simply laugh it off as talk of the olde days of yore. Although I did see the whodunit from about a football field away, there was a little bonus that I wasn’t really looking for that ended up being a pretty decent little bonus. Fairly PG (references to underage drinking and smoking pot that wouldn’t pass the test with some parents) for youngsters to read this Halloween season.

No comments:

Post a Comment