Thursday, January 29, 2015

Sick Bastards by Matt Shaw

20585082
3 Stars
 
Commercial Photography

“This is my family. They’re all mad. We’re all mad.”

I have a couple of friends who enjoy reading with me from time to time. Said friends have been extremely disappointed with my book selections as of late, so I agreed to let them pick my next book. Thus began what forever will be known as the “Mitchell and Hannibal Buddy Read From Hell”. . . .

Commercial Photography

Note: It’s really freaking hard to take a selfie with multiple dead animal heads. Someone send me a selfie stick STAT!

Note 2: Mitchell and Hannibal are both men of few words and their typing skills SUCK (you know, being that they ARE ONLY HEADS and all), so this review is going to be extra giffified.

“I started the evening by eating human flesh and then I ended it with dreams of fucking my own sister. After killing someone today, too, I don’t know who I am anymore. I don’t know what I am becoming and exactly how far I’ll go to ensure my own survival.”

My reading partners have a pretty twisted taste in books . . . and that’s why I love them. The title Sick Bastards lets you know this book isn’t going to pussyfoot around. There’s even a warning on the damn thing disclaiming it to be EXTREME, so no whiny crybabies allowed. If you choose to read it and then find your fragile little psyche exploding into eleventy billion pieces, you better suck it up, buttercup.

The story opens with a . . . ahem “family moment?????” . . . if you will . . .

Commercial Photography

Which gets interrupted ‘cause it’s time for some eats, yo . . .

Commercial Photography

We find out the family are survivors of a nuclear holocaust, doing whatever it takes to survive in a new world filled with mutant humans . . .

Commercial Photography

I’m not going to give away any more of the plot. If you want something a lot different from the norm and find jokes like this to be hilarious . . .

Commercial Photography
Commercial Photography

or you're always looking for a way to expand your repertoire of cannibal memes . . .

Commercial Photography

This might be a book for you. If you’re like me and my pals, you might even read it during your lunch break . . .

Commercial Photography

“Waste not, want not.”

It gets 3 Stars from me simply because there wasn’t enough. I’m not easily offended or grossed out, so having a book rely on shock and awe over substance isn’t going to earn 4 Stars from me. 3 Stars here on Goodreads means “I Liked It,” and I did . . . I just didn’t love it. I’ll definitely be checking out more of Shaw’s stuff in the future, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment