Friday, March 27, 2020

The Keeper by Jessica Moor

52654991. sx318 sy475
4.5 Stars


^^^^That’s me upon finishing this book (complete with the petite frame and good looks). But on a more serious note – WHERE THE HELL DID THIS COME FROM? Y’all should be pretty aware by now since I make note of it ALL. OF. THE. TIME. that I am not a fan of “face covers” and NONE of my Goodreads friends have read this. How the heck did I hear about it? I am perplexed. Anyway, who knows how I came to snag this from the library, but snag it I did and read just enough of the blurb to see that it was going to be about the discovery of a woman’s body near a bridge known for being a place where people commit suicide. Presumed to be the case here as well, however, as no suicide was found protocol must be followed by the local police in order to sign off and release the body.

I wouldn’t call this a literary thriller . . . . .


There is nothing particularly “literary” about the writing style. The story, though. Holy mackerel . . . .


Talk about taking a super-sensitive topic like domestic violence and just punching you in the face with it. From sheer brutality, to emotional abuse, to gaslighting, to stereotyping and bias, and all wrapped up in a mystery that at the end of the day doesn’t really even matter if it ends as a murder or suicide because everything else covered is so much more important, The Keeper is a difficult book to read, but one that does not shy away from its subject matter.

Highly recommended if you don’t mind dark themes in your thrillers.

No comments:

Post a Comment