Tuesday, January 22, 2019

City of Thieves by David Benioff

1971304
4 Stars




Russia is also the place where a defector and a looter became an unlikely duo on a quest for . . . .



More specifically, this is the story of . . . .

“One week in 1942, the first week of the year, the week he met my grandmother, made his best friend, and killed two Germans.”

If cellmates Lev and Kolya can supply a dozen eggs in time for the Colonel’s wife to bake a cake for daughter’s wedding they can save their hides. Along the way they will come across cannibals, a rooster rather than a hen, Germans, an epic chess game and one highly anticipated bowel movement.

I have owned this book forever. Many thanks to Emily for suggesting I make it one of my selections for the Winter Reading Challenge. I had no idea what I was missing out on. For a slim novel this one surely packs a punch. Recommended.



One more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment