Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Heft by Liz Moore


11381910
3.5 Stars

I guess I can officially call this the week of the fatties. Calm down and don’t get all triggered. I’m fat too so I’m allowed to talk about it (because apparently those are the rules as stated by those who take offense to errrrrrything).

Meet Arthur Opp . . . .



Twenty years ago he was a college professor. It was there he befriended a young woman named Charlene. Ten years ago Arthur stopped leaving the house and watched his weight balloon up to nearly 600 pounds. Thanks to the wonderful world of Amazon Prime and his mailman, everything Arthur could ever want gets delivered right to his front door . . . . including letters from Charlene that he has received throughout the years. When Arthur receives Charlene’s latest letter asking for help tutoring her son he has to decide whether or not he’s ready to interact with the real world again and open his home to a friend in need . . . .



We then meet the son in need, Kel Keller. I don’t want to give too much away, so I’ll just leave it with Kel’s story made . . . .



And I’m heartless so it’s obviously really freaking sad.

If you’re looking for something fast paced with a lot of action, this is definitely not the story for you. Buuuuuuuuuuut, if you want to read about an actual flawed human who is well aware of his flaws, a young kid dealt a real shit hand in life, and a spunky firecracker of a housekeeper as they just try to get through life, you may be impressed by this quiet little sleeper. Just don’t say I didn’t warn you that you might have a feel or two . . . .



I requested Heft from the library as soon as I saw Jennifer’s rating. Now, Jennifer is a lot nicer than me with, but she DNFs when something really stinks and is honest with her opinions. She doesn’t post a lot of placeholder reviews so when I saw her 5 Stars I knew it meant something. I also laughed at her explanation for the lack of review being because she got sucked into the downward spiral that was the first Presidential debate. I’ve been waiting (im)patiently to see what she has to say, but then some other stuff and things happened . . . .



And now I’m not sure she’ll ever be able to pull herself away from the trainwreck ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment