Monday, October 24, 2016

Glitterland by Alexis Hall


25638048
5 Stars

We’ll call this that one time when I bit the bullet and took take my inspiration from Martha Raddatz - opting to stop resisting Glitterland and just “get this nightmare started” . . . .



Many of my friends (and more than a handful of my enemies) have been causing this book to appear on my feed for the past few years. However, since the average rating amongst people I actually want to associate with on GR sat at an astonishing 4.60 I stayed faaaaaaaaaaaaar far away. And also, that original cover?????



Well . . . .



Or cover. Yyou know what I’m sayin’. When the new cover came out, though . . . .



That new and improved cover is what finally broke me down and made me request Glitterland from the library.

So let’s get on with the book already. Really the only reoccurring complaint I noticed in my friends’ reviews was that one of the leading males was written like good ol’ Eliza Doolittle before Henry Higgins gold a hold of her . . . .



I pretty much dig on reading accents, so I wasn’t skuuuuuuuuuuuured of that. What I was scared of? Purple prose. Oh lort I’d rather just spoon my own eyeballs out than read that fucking drivel. I’ll be 100% honest and say Glitterland was not free of it . . . .

“He crashed over me like a wave and I was drowning. He shone so brightly and I was burning.”

Which did make me a little . . . .



But luckily for me there was a sparkly glitter pirate to counterbalance things who no matter how many times was described as platinum blonde remained, in my brain, this fella . . . .


(Thanks brain for not effin’ me over for once in my life!)

Said glitter pirate’s speech most definitely wasn’t of the purple variety . . .

“My name’s Darian Taylor.” We shook hands solemnly. Then he grinned. “And I’m gonna make sure you nevva forget it.”

Leaving me kind of like . . . .



I’ll be the first to admit from the outside looking in, this story should have been a big fat failure for me. Normally I’d blame it on the full moon or something, but Glitterland deserves better than a brush off. This story was wonderful. It was funny and touching and made me feel a variety of feels – the most surprising of which was unequivocal love . . . .

“Hunjed percent.”

All the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment