Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Nailbiter by Joshua Williamson, Mike Henderson (Illustrations), Adam Guzowski (Illustrations)

22358462
4 Stars
 

Houston commercial photography

“Warren’s modus operandi was to kidnap innocent men and women who had the habit of chewing their fingernails. Warren would keep them captive until his victim’s nails grew back, and then chew their fingers down to the bone before ultimately killing them.”

First reaction? YES PLEASE!

I also have some experience with one of these “nailbiters” and figured I could relate to this story on a deeper level. Advice to anyone else struggling through this problem: A little mouth binding goes a long way to stop any attempted nomming of others . . .

Houston commercial photography

Nailbiter takes place in Buckaroo, Oregon – birthplace of sixteen serial killers. When Nicholas Finch gets sent to Buckaroo, he believes it is only to meet up with fellow NSA Agent Carroll and learn the truth of the “Buckaroo Butchers.” What he discovers instead is that his friend has gone missing and there is much more to the town than meets the eye.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out a serial killer graphic novel is probably my idea of a great time and when you add in a freaky deaky locale like Wayward Pines Buckaroo along with some Silence of the Lambs humor, it’s a guaranteed winner . . .

Houston commercial photography

I wasn’t a huge fan of the art, but I know crap about art so you can go ahead and ignore that. I will say that some panels won me over . . .

Houston commercial photography

In my limited experience I’ve noticed there don’t seem to be a whole lot of non-white characters in most graphic novels, so I also dug the fact that the MC had the potential to become super kickass like Laurence Fishburne . . .

Houston commercial photography

Ha! I keed. I keeeeeed.

If you can stomach the first issue in the volume, you’ll find a pretty intriguing mystery begin to unravel. I will warn you that There Will Be Blood was completely open-ended, so have Volume 2 at the ready or you’ll find yourself having a bit of an angry like I currently am . . .

Houston commercial photography

Many thanks to Mrs. Gavin for being squicked out by this one and putting it on my radar : )

No comments:

Post a Comment