Monday, July 27, 2015

Fairest In All the Land by Bill Willingham

17671927
3 Stars
 
In case you aren’t aware, I’m more than bit of a graphic novel noob. I pretty much request whatever the library has available (which is basically next to nothing). Imagine my surprise when I found out Fairest In All the Land is a standalone story written by a guy who has like eleventy thousand other “Fairest” stories . . .

Houston commercial photography

This one works great if you’re like myself and would prefer your princess tales to include a bit more of the ol’ stabby stabby. Fairest In All the Land is told in two parts. It begins with a bit of history from the Magic Mirror . . . .

Houston commercial photography

and then jumps to “real life” where the ladies of the Magic Kingdom are dropping like flies. It’s up to “Cindy” . . . .

Houston commercial photography
(She’s not really, but come on – you know I’m going to use that .gif)

to figure out the whodunit. Along the way she’ll receive help from some unique friends . . .

Houston commercial photography

and will have to fight not only to solve the mystery, but also in order to stay alive . . .

Houston commercial photography

For the most part, I found Fairest In all the Land to be quite entertaining. As a noob, I’m not familiar (or comfortable) with the “changing of the guard” type of illustrations every few pages so that took away a bit of my enjoyment. I will say, though, that when that art was working, it was seriously working . . . .

Houston commercial photography

There was even a little sumthin’ sumthing for perverts Jeffs, Lonos, Seans and Gavins . . .

Houston commercial photography

All in all a fun read and I’ll definitely be diving in to more of Willingham’s Fables and Fairest volumes whenever I come across them. If this doesn’t sound like your idea of a good time? Well . . .

Houston commercial photography
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment