Thursday, January 12, 2017

The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon


28763485
1 Star

Looks like people are really creaming their jeans over this one. Everyone except me and a certain someone who are both giant assholes . . . .



Where do I even begin?????? Let me start by saying I even though I am a horrible old wretch, I really thought I would enjoy this and was super pissed at NetGalley for denying me the ARC . . . .



(^^^^There’s some good troll bait, right there. To clear things up - no, I don’t think I’m anything special, but yes I do want to get approved for all the ARCs.)

Anyway, I was kind of a fan of Everything Everything and requested this immediately without even reading the synopsis due to the author’s name alone. Also note I drink the Kool-Aid of the Green and Levithan by the gallon (and I just 4 Starred a YA romance earlier this week) so it’s not like I was smoking crack thinking I would love this too. But sadly love it I did not . . . .



Since I hadn’t spoiled myself of what The Sun Is Also A Star was about before starting I didn’t know this would be the insta-loviest tale that ever insta-loved. You see, this is the story of Natasha and Daniel and 12 hours they spent together. To put it bluntly, Natasha’s family . . . .

“are undocumented immigrants, and we're being deported tonight.”

Natasha is on her way to throw one last hail mary pass in order to keep her family in ‘Murica (illegally by way of “good” social security cards which means cards “with actual stolen numbers printed on it instead of fake ones” because let’s make sure to really make Kelly feel like an effing Alt-Right Movement member since I can’t really cheer for a family of identity thieves).

Daniel is on his way to a college interview in order to live up to his family's expectations. When his train shuts down and the conductor instructs the passengers they should maybe find God, followed by Daniel seeing a girl with a “DEUS EX MACHINA” (or “God From the Machine” for those not familiar) backpack he thinks it’s a sign. And let the instalove commence . . . . .

“There's a Japanese phrase that I like: koi no yokan. It doesn't mean love at first sight. It's closer to love at second sight. It's the feeling when you meet someone that you're going to fall in love with them. Maybe you don't love them right away, but it's inevitable that you will.”

(In this case koi no yokan = soulmates within half a day.)

I’ve read some contrived stories in my time, but this one takes the cake. This thing was absolutely ridiculous (™Ron2.0) and I’m amazed I didn’t concuss myself with all of the rolling of the eyes into the back of my brain. Everyone else loved it, though, so just chalk this as another fail for Kelly due to the fact that . . . . .



Even though I really disliked this book I have to give credit where credit is due and say Nicola Yoon writes some good quotey quotes . . . .

“If people who were actually born here had to prove they were worthy enough to live in America, this would be a much less populated country.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment