Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Winger by Andrew Smith

 
Ryan Dean West (“Winger” to the guys on the rugby team) is a Junior at a boarding school. He’s different than the other boys, though. He’s only 14. This is the story of Ryan Dean’s life-altering year – dealing with first kisses, first bullies, first love, first loss – all while trying to remove himself from the stigma that is being the “little guy”.

“It’s always that one word that makes you so different and puts you outside the overlap of everyone else; and that word is so fucking big and loud, it’s the only thing anyone ever hears when your name is spoken.”

This book . . .
 
“It’s about love, and maybe, not having it.”

I have to admit I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with Ryan Dean West for a good chunk of this book. He admits he’s a “skinny-bitch-ass” and, let’s face it, he’s a 14 year old boy. I’m quickly approaching the time when I will have one of those living in my house – I’m fairly certain I’m not always going to like him either. While reading, I kept wavering between a 3 Star or a 4 Star rating – thinking I’d end up with a 3.5. But then Ryan Dean changed and, although I knew what was coming, the book changed and I discovered that I’m not broken and I cried. And cried. And cried. At my desk, at work, on my lunch break. And all my frustrations with Ryan Dean from the first 90% of the book are erased, because HE’S A 14 YEAR OLD BOY FOR GOD’S SAKE!!!!

5 Stars.

“Crede quod habes, et habes” – If you believe in what you have, you’ll have it.”


No comments:

Post a Comment