Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Texts from Bennett by Mac Lethal

It’s probably not really worth it, but I’m giving this one 4 Stars. 
 
When Mac Lethal finds out his aunt is about to lose her house, he invites her, and his cousin Bennett, to move in with him until they can get back on their feet again. The events that transpire during their co-habitation inspire this very untraditional story of family and falling in love . . .

Living in the same town as Mac Lethal, I discovered the “Texts from Bennett” blog at its inception and have been an unapologetic follower ever since. It’s offensive, and vile, and demeaning to women, and I should hate it . . . but it makes me laugh, and sometimes a good laugh is all you need. And I know there are grumblings that the texts are fake. To that I say – “who f-ing cares?” They are still funny.



I remember seeing posts about the book version coming out, but my addled brain once again failed me. Luckily, the library posted their review online and it reminded me I should go pick it up. Like the blog, Bennett is crude, rude, unintentionally racist and 100% cringe-inducing. Unlike the bits and pieces contained in the blog, you find out that he is also kind, loyal, hardworking (even if he’s not real) and hilarious.


If you aren’t a fan of the blog, you probably won’t find much to love about the book. If you are a fan – definitely check it out and enjoy the laughs. Remember to tell them “Hustla da Rabbit” sent you ; )


No comments:

Post a Comment