Monday, November 20, 2017

Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall


28101540
4 Stars

“Why do people keep telling me to be myself? Honestly. It’s like they’ve never even met me.”
Every now and then a certain someone takes a break from training monkeys in order to send me little treasures I didn’t even know I wanted until I received them. Under A Rose Tainted Sky is one of those. When I received a message telling me I had some goodies waiting for me if I would get off airplane mode (said monkey trainer also has to run interference in order to save me from my own stupid) I had much excite. Especially when I discovered this one was about someone with agoraphobia. Even my husband reacted like so when I told him what my book bestie had selected for me . . . .



What can I say????



So about the book. THIS is what that Turtles FUCKING SUCK! All The Way Down should have been. But NO. John Green will sell eleventy trillion copies of a giant pile of turtle suckage and this little gem will sell a handful. And don’t even give me the “John Green struggles with the same thing as his MC” argument, because THIS author does to. Now I’m going to let the book do the talking from here out so I don’t have an aneurysm.

Meet Norah – a 17-year old agoraphobic who leaves her house only to attend therapy. She is well aware that she needs to work on controlling her fears, else she . . . .

“die cold and alone. Hidden in my room while strangers post messages of condolence on my social media and rabid cats eat my decomposing corpse.”

But managing her anxiety is easier said than done . . . .

“Anxiety doesn’t just stop. You can have nice moments, minutes where it shrinks, but it doesn’t leave. It lurks in the background like a shadow, like that important assignment you have to do but keep putting off or the dull ache that follows a three-day migraine. The best you can hope for is to contain it, make it be as small as possible so it stops being intrusive.”

And when things get too overwhelming, sometimes she needs an escape . . . .

“It’s drastic, a last resort. But so easy. Like breathing, blinking. One beat in time. One quick slice, where nobody can see, and it all stops. This is not about dying. This is about trying to get back some control.”

When Luke moves next door – and then continues to pop up on Norah’s front steps, laughing at her snarky commentary, withholding judgment regarding her lack of leaving the house – Norah is confronted with a new challenge . . . .

“TV didn’t adequately prepare me for talking to boys in real life.”

Norah is well-aware her issues are quite the inhibitor when it comes to romance, but it doesn’t stop her from asking . . . .

“Why can’t I be normal? Why can’t I think the way normal people do? I so desperately would have liked to have him as a friend.”

What Norah doesn’t realize is . . . . .

“There isn’t much you miss when you’re really looking.”

If you want a different take on the “boy next door” story – this one might be a winner. I sure loved it . . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment