Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida

1 Star
 
I’d feel bad about giving a 1 Star rating to a book written by a 13 year old if I believed at all that a 13 year old actually wrote this book. Since I do not I have zero guilt.



I see The Reason I Jump as yet another outlet that has adults manipulating a child in order to advance their own personal agenda (*cough* Heaven is for Real *cough*). I believe Naoki’s mother, as well as David Mitchell and his wife, used Naoki’s alphabet board more like a Ouija Board and interpreted responses given in the way they wanted to hear them. There is no way a thirteen year old child came up with some of these responses.

Q: Why do you like being in the water?

"We just want to go back. To the distant, distant past. To a primeval era, in fact, before human beings even existed. All people with autism feel the same about this one, I reckon.”

Seriously?????

They (the adults) also made the decision to continue the abuse use of this “we/us” terminology with respect to all of Naoki’s answers to paint everyone that falls on the autism spectrum with the same broad brush. That does nothing to further awareness – in fact, it does the exact opposite.

If this book teaches people to have more tolerance or understanding of those who fall on the spectrum, that is wonderful. I, however, have always been (and still remain) hesitant when it comes to adult “advocates” using children as their tool.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment