Friday, June 7, 2013

Before I Go To Sleep by S. J. Watson




1.5 Stars.

Christine wakes up every morning not knowing who she is/where she is/who she’s sleeping next to. She’s had amnesia for the past 20+ years and each night when she falls asleep she forgets everything. With the help of a new doctor, she’s journaling in an attempt to spark her memory. The only problem is the first page of her journal tells her not to trust her husband. It is now up to Christine to figure out who she can and cannot trust or to come to terms with the fact that she might be creating conspiracy theories in her own head.

If you've ever known the ending to any episode of CSI (insert city of choice name here) or an M. Night Shyamalan movie do not - I repeat DO NOT - read this. There were ZERO twists and turns and the ending was completely predictable. Total bummer. I'm glad I read fast so at least I only wasted one day of my life. Finding out I knew what was happening all along after plowing through Christine's journal and her daily recap of figuring out who she is/why she's older/who she's waking up to (à la 50 First Dates), I was ready to punch someone in the throat. If you want to go on a trippy psych-thriller voyage choose Gillian Flynn. At least if you figure out the ending she'll take you on a wild ride to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment