Thursday, August 3, 2017

Lost Boy by Christina Henry


32828538
5 Stars

“All children grow up, or they die, or both. All children, except one.”
Before I begin, I have something I need to ask Christina Henry . . . . .



I’d say Lost Boy was highly anticipated by me, but that would be a lie because I had no clue about its existence until the Goodreads “Recommended To You” feature finally got one right and popped this up on my feed. I luuuuuuuurved Alice, but passed on Red Queen because homie don’t do series, yo. When I saw Lost Boy was a retelling of Peter Pan from HOOK’S perspective, I was all over it. I mean, who doesn’t want to get to know this guy better????



AmIrightoramIright?

WARNING: Typical Kelly aside fast approaching. Click away now or forever hold your peace. Still here? SUCKERS! Okay, so as a kid I was terrified of Peter Pan. I mean, for realz, dude was a straight up kidnapper FFS. I never believed he was a child, I always thought he was a little person or had some disease no one else knew about where he never looked older or something. As I got older and learned more about the church stranger danger, I also figured he was probably a pedophile. Not to mention the fact that (at least in the Disney version) he was a ginger, which would totally explain the fascination with Captain Hook . . . .



If you are like me and figured Peter was a supercreeper, all I have to say is . . . . .



While Lost Boy has tidbits of the original story . . . .



It doesn’t necessarily head “straight on ‘til morning,” but rather goes a bit sideways instead . . . .

“This isn’t a wonderful place for boys to play and have adventures and stay young for always. It’s a killing place, and we’re all just soldiers in Peter’s war.”

Action, adventure and stabby. OH MY! Easily my favorite read so far in 2017. Every star. Even the second one to the right.

P.S. Look at me getting my timing perfect on this read. I say really idiotic things (shocking, I know) like “I don't really read fantasy” and then pick this up. So stupid. But yay me. Now give me a participation medal : )

 

No comments:

Post a Comment