Monday, February 13, 2017

The Thicket by Joe R. Lansdale


20706257
4 Star

My Goodreads’ buddies have been trying to get me to read The Thicket before it even came out (because an ARC was available for request), but I resisted because . . . . .



Well, partially. Also because I really am not a fan of westerns. Even though Ron 2.0 assured me this wasn’t a real westerny western and Shelby had 5-Starred it, I didn’t end up requesting this one until I became addicted to the library’s Read to Reel Challenge and discovered this fine gentlemen has been cast in a hopefully soon-to-be-made film version . . . .



The story here is about Jack Parker, an almost grown man who is on his way to live with an aunt in Kansas after his ma and pa die from the pox when his granddaddy is killed and his sister is kidnapped by bad guys. Recruiting the help of a gravedigger, a dwarf, a whore and a hog, The Thicket then becomes about . . . .

“Our job is to rescue her, kill the hell out of the man who stole her, and collect a reward.”

If it came to my enjoyment of the story, this one would rate fair to middlin’. I wasn’t lying when I said I don’t like westerns. And while this one was on the cusp of being not too “westerny,” it still featured chasing marauders and complaining about crotch chafing from horse riding enough that my attention waned a bit. However, there is just something about Joe Lansdale that is impossible not to love. Mainly the fact that he demonstrates that he believes . . . . .



Even though the subject matter was a tad more serious, The Thicket definitely had a bit of a Blazing Saddles vibe to it and I have no option but to give it 4 Stars because Lansdale can write like nobody’s business and Shorty will go down as an all-time favorite character. Also because if I don’t my drinking buddy said he won’t be friends with me any longer . . . .



Plus this book proved something Mitchell has been telling me for years . . . .



And at this point I’m pretty sure he’s not just stating it for trivia, but as a threat.

Still reading the Winter Reading Challenge theme because I can . . .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment