Monday, September 12, 2016

The Marauders by Tom Cooper


22238371
4 Stars

The Marauders became a part of my TBR due to a recommendation by one of my husband co-workers. It turns out he’s becoming quite the fan of hick lit and thought of me after reading/agreeing with my assessment of Bull Mountain. When I took a peak at the synopsis for this one I was all in and immediately snatched it up from the library. Then my non-book-reading husband decided to join in for a buddy read . . . . .

commercial photography locations

It’s now been four days since I finished and he’s still on page 80-something so I’m calling this another failed buddy-up and posting a review before my old lady brain forgets WTF this was even about.

So what was it about?

The basics are it’s about the goings on of a hodgepodge ensemble cast of characters living in the Louisiana bayou after the BP oil spill. Y’all remember when that happened?????



Good thing big oil learned its lesson and would never cut any corners today that might allow a horrific accident like that to happen say . . . . with the Dakota Pipeline, right? Yeah right.

Anyway, off soapbox. Where was I???? Oh yeah, an ensemble cast of characters who all live in the same small town of Jeanette and whose lives eventually intertwine as the story progresses.

There’s a little bit of something for everyone here. From the son of a shrimp boat captain who dreams of running a boat of his own, to the smarmy insurance agent who has been assigned to make the people affected sign their rights away for a paltry settlement before they get wise and file a class action suit, to the local nutter who dreams of discovering the lost treasure of Pirate Jean Lafitte with his trusty metal detector . . . .



To a set of psycho twins who are willing to protect a secret crop . . . .



Via any means necessary.

This was a damn good read. I’ll be honest and tell you I was an easy sell as soon I heard “if she liked Bull Mountain” because yeah she really liked Bull Mountain. While this one wasn’t quite as riveting to me as that one was, I still found it to be a solid novel and it got a lot grittier than I thought it was going to be at the jumpstart. I am a huge fan of a mixed bag of narratives and recognize how hard it is to do successfully. Cooper proved to be a master and each individual had a completely unique personality and voice that I won’t be forgetting any time soon. And really, let’s be honest, once I saw “Pirate Jean Lafitte” I was in . . . . .

commercial photography locations

Recommended to people who enjoy their literature to be a lil’ bit of chickenfried.

P.S. If you haven’t ever watched Drunk History you’re really missing out. Especially the Lafitte episode. Friggin’ HI-LAR-I-OUS. And if my word alone doesn’t sell you on tuning in, maybe knowing you’re missing this kind of awesomeness will . . . .

commercial photography locations

No comments:

Post a Comment